If you are unable to start AppFabric Caching Service service account try the following.
By default, the Caching Service account is used for the Caching Service configuration provider. The default is NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE.
If your computer is part of a workgroup, you must change the Caching Service account. Use a local account that exists on all computers participating in the cluster and use the same password for the account on all computers. For configuration, the local account must have local administrator privileges, and must not be a built-in account. This step is not necessary for domain-joined machines.
To configure the Caching Service on a computer that is part of a workgroup
In Windows Server AppFabric, all Distributed Cache configuration scenarios are supported with XML-based configuration only. There are some manual steps involved in ensuring that the Distributed Cache service identity account has appropriate security permissions. To configure the Caching Service on a computer that is part of a workgroup, using a network share for the configuration store, proceed as follows:
- Create a local user account with the same name and same password on all computers that will be running the Caching Service and on the computer that will be hosting the caching configuration. The shared account must have the following rights granted to it on all the computers that will be running the Caching Service: Generate security audits, Bypass traverse checking, and Logon as a service. Grant the shared account this permission by using the Local Security Policy (Secpol.msc) tool, and moving to the following path: Secpol.msc, Security Settings, LocalPolicies, and User Rights Assignment. Add the account to each of the policies listed above. You must grant the preceding rights to the shared account on each computer that will be running the Caching Service.
- On the computer that will be hosting the caching configuration, create a network share. Add the shared account to the local administrator group and add this account to the network share permissions as co-owner.
- Use Windows Server AppFabric setup to install the Caching Service on all the computers that participate in the cluster as nodes.
- Use the AppFabric Configuration Wizard to change the identity of the Caching Service and perform the caching configuration.
- Configure the Caching Service on all computers pointing to the network share that was created as the configuration store.