If you plan to install standalone SharePoint 2013 server on workgroup machine (not part of domain), there is additional prerequisite you need to do, or you will have error in SharePoint configuration wizard with comment “The SDDL string contains an invalid sid or a sid that cannot be translated”.
- Add the account for search service you are using to install SharePoint in WSS_Admin_WPG group. Built in administrator account is already member.
- Open SharePoint Management Shell console and execute this command:
$SearchService = Get-Credential <computername>\UserName
- You will be prompted for password
- Then run following command:
New-SPManagedAccount -Credential $SearchService
- Open Explorer and browse to “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\15.0\Data\Office Server” and you will see the folder that starts with Analytics with a guid.
- Right-click folder > Properties > Sharing >Advanced Sharing
- Check the “Share this folder’ check box and click on Permissions
- Add the WSS_ADMIN_WPG and Search Service accounts created in step 2 and select Full Control.
- Run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard again.